Wednesday, February 27, 2008

How I work...

Thanks for the nice comments re: rocker girl!

Sherry asked how I created the sketch... I work in Corel Painter for this type of sketch. Sometimes I continue to work digitally and will finish the piece all in Painter (with color tweaking in Photoshop). Other times, I print the sketch onto watercolor paper (140 lb) hot press or soft press, paint it, scan it into the computer; and work over the top of it in Painter (dry media like artist pastel) to get it just how I want it.

I will be finishing rock-n-roll girl in Painter.

6 comments:

Breadwig said...

Very cool. And I loooove that bug on the blog. So awesome.

Sherry Rogers said...

Thanks Janie! It's so great to hear how other digital artists work. I have heard a few say that they do traditional painting sometimes and then continue digitally. I am contemplating this on my next book. . .a bit scary for someone who has only done their book digitally.

I look forward to seeing your next post on this illustration.

kathleen duey said...

Janie, nice to see you blogging. I will check back often--the artist's process has always interested me.

kathleen

Phyllis Harris said...

Glad to see your blogging. I will be stopping by often. I've always been a big fan of your work, Janie. LOVE the rocker girl!

Amy Huntington said...

Hi Janie,

Love the blog. I have found it is so fun to have a place to post things so easily. And then to get all kinds of feedback too!

Janie B said...

Amy, et al: We'll see how long I last at this! LOL Thanks for the encouragement...